News and Updates with Mrs. P Storytime and Kathy Kinney
As usual it is a delight to talk with Kathy Kinney. A funny, genuine person, you feel connected with her as she talks about life as we get older and her passion for kids.
The co-author of Queen of Your Own Life: The Grown-Up Woman’s Guide to Claiming Happiness and Getting the Life You Deserve with Cindy Ratzlaff, the book is “entertaining and inspiring.” I enjoyed their techniques they call “the seven best gifts a woman can give herself.” It’s like your diet plan for a healthy life — for shedding negativity and embracing your inner queen.
Kathy’s other passion is Mrs. P Storytime. “An award-winning FREE interactive digital storybook destination. Classic children’s stories brought to life by TV star Kathy Kinney as Mrs. P.”
A fresh Face for Mrs. P
- New Contest: Mrs P and the gang are already gearing up for the Be a Famous Writer Contest
- New Sponsor: Buyertopia has joined Mrs. P and will be providing some really great prizes this year that will benefit the schools of the contest winners. Contest winners and the teacher of the winning student will get a $25 Gift certificate EVERY MONTH for a year to Buyertopia.
- Magic Library: Story videos now on YouTube and on Professor Garfield.
- Special Family Memory from Mrs. P
MrsP.com was created with the goal of giving kids the wonderful experience of having a trusted, skilled storyteller read them classics of literature. Rather than simply presenting an audiobook, Mrs. P recreates the look and feel of “story time,” a magical ritual many kids might not otherwise get to enjoy.
It is a remarkable venture is co-founded by Clay Graham, Kathy Kinney and Dana Plautz.
Educational and Fun for Teachers and Students
2012 marked the announcement of the winners of the third annual Be A Famous Writer Contest. MrsP received thousands of entries this year, but what is inspiring is many teachers used the writing contest as a class project.
Bringing Mrs. P into the classroom is easy. It’s a free source and does not require a license to use. Mrs. P’s classic filled library “offers stories and activities that help students develop reading, listening and speaking abilities.” These include Mrs. P’s Video Playlist just for teachers to go with the study questions on my Reading is Cool Blog! from Animals, to celebrating Young Authors.
Plus, every September Mrs. P also holds an annual writing contest (Be a Famous Writer Contest). A great activity for your classroom.
Mrs. P is a Trusted Source The National Parenting Center 2009 Seal of Approval and the American Library Associations Great Site for Kids have both honored Mrs. P’s site with their awards. Check our endorsement page too to see her other supporters!
Mrs. P Supports Literacy Mrs. P is an honorary board member of Everybody Wins! USA, a nationally recognized literacy and mentoring organization. She also works with the Association of American Publishers “Get Caught Reading” program where she has her own poster available to excite kids about reading.
Like our Podcasts? Listen to us every week on iTunes
Click below to listen to the Podcast with Storyteller, Kathy Kinney
The Podcast Overview
- Mrs. P has made some changes to the Magic Library: Can you tell me about them?
- There is now a New Teacher page that contains playlist and is themed with your “reading is cool” blog postings that also include learning questions on the stories. Tell me more
- I see from your site that you already have exciting new sponsors already for the Annual Writing Contest
- I love the new contest page that features all the talented young writers – and shows their photos and stories
- I know you love to celebrate Read Across America Day which we just had in March – what did you do this year?
Enjoy this story from writing contest finalist Jared Spry!
This story is a funny and clever depiction of a boy who suspects the family garden gnome has committed a crime. It’s been illustrated by artist Robin E. Kaplan Enjoy Eugene Fitz & The Impish Gnome
Just in time for April’s Fools
About Mrs. P Storytime
Mrs. P reads classic children’s stories that have proven their value through the test of time. The authors whose work is presented on MrsP.com are the finest writers who ever lived. To complement the storytelling experience, Mrs. P commissions both new and established artists to create original artwork for each story.
While our website will feature interactive reading and spelling games, the heart and soul of our content on MrsP.com will always be a gifted storyteller reading great stories enhanced with a few simple illustrations.
Mrs. P prefers not to compete with big-budget Hollywood movies, elaborate video games and virtual worlds; she would like to help kids learn to use their imaginations.
- Visit Mrs. P
- Visit the Magic Library
- Mrs. P Stories on Professor Garfield (Kid Friendly)
- Reading is Cool Blog
- Be a Famous Writer Contest
About Read Across America
The National Education Association is building a nation of readers through its signature program, NEA’s Read Across America. Now in its 15th year, this year-round program focuses on motivating children and teens to read through events, partnerships, and reading resources.
NEA’s Read Across America Day, NEA’s national reading celebration takes place each year on or near March 2, the birthday of Dr. Seuss. Across the country, thousands of schools, libraries, and community centers participate by bringing together kids, teens, and books, and you can too!